Best made with:
General Tso Tofu
- Extra Firm Tofu
- Ethnic Cuisine
A mouth-watering recipe with a vegetarian twist.
|⅔ pkg||Sunrise Extra Firm Tofu , cut into cubes|
|2-3 tbsp||Sunflower Oil|
|5-6||Scallions , for garnish|
|1 tbsp||Sesame Oil|
|2 tbsp||Fresh Ginger , grated|
|1||Fresh Garlic , finley chopped|
|½ cup||Brown Sugar|
|3 tbsp||Hoisin Sauce|
|3 tbsp||Rice Wine Vinegar|
|2 tbsp||Dark Soy Sauce|
|Chilli Flakes , to taste|
- Mix together in a separate bowl the brown sugar, Hoisin sauce, rice wine vinegar, organic ketchup, dark soy sauce, water and Bird’s Eye chili (or chili flakes). This will be the sauce.
- Sauté ginger and garlic with sesame oil for 2 minutes in a medium sauce pan.
- Add sauce to pan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Then set aside.
- Place tofu cubes in a zip lock bag and toss with cornstarch to coat.
- Heat oil in a fry pan on medium high heat, then add tofu cubes, discarding excess cornstarch left behind in the bag. Cook the cubes on all sides until golden and crisp, (approximately 1-2 minutes per side).
- Remove crispy tofu from the pan and divide evenly over rice. Pour sauce generously over tofu, sprinkle with sliced scallions and serve. * If using Bird’s Eye chili in this sauce, remove before serving.