Best made with:
- Comfort Food
- Extra Firm Tofu
Classic Italian comfort food with a meatless twist
|1 pkg||Sunrise Extra Firm Tofu , sliced|
|2 tbsp||Basil Pesto|
|2 tbsp||Olive Oil|
|1 cup||Italian Seasoned Breadcrumbs|
|2||Eggs , beaten|
|2 cups||Tomato Sauce|
|2 tbsp||Vegetable Oil , for frying|
|½ cup||Parmesan Cheese , Grated|
- Slice tofu lengthwise into ½ inch slices. Place in dish with pesto and oil, cover, refrigerate 8hrs or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 175ºC (350°F).
- In a large frying pan heat oil on medium high heat.
- Dip each piece into beaten eggs then into seasoned bread crumbs.
- Carefully place tofu slices in the hot pan and pan fry both sides until golden brown on both sides.
- Add 125 mL (1/2 cup) tomato sauce to 9” baking dish. Place tofu slices evenly over sauce, slightly overlapping if needed.
- Top with remaining tomato sauce. Then top with parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Serve with green salad and a slice of whole wheat garlic toast.