Best made with:
Vegetable Thai Coconut Soup “Phak Tom Kati”
- Comfort Food
- Medium Firm Tofu
- Ethnic Cuisine
Brothy and to the brim with flavour.
|1 pkg||Sunrise Medium Firm Tofu , cubed into 1-inch pieces|
|1½ tbsp||coconut oil|
|1||shallot , sliced|
|1||chunk of ginger , sliced into thirds|
|1||lemongrass stalk , bruised & chopped into thirds|
|1 tbsp||coconut sugar (may substitute with brown sugar or cane sugar)|
|1||Thai red chili , remove seeds & cut thinly|
|6||kaffir lime leaves , sliced thinly|
|4 cups||coconut milk|
|2 cups||chicken broth (or vegetable broth if vegetarian/vegan)|
|3 tbsp||fish sauce (or soy sauce if vegetarian/vegan)|
|10||white mushrooms , halved|
|1||Japanese long eggplant , cut into 1” pieces|
|1 cup||green beans , cut into 1” lengths|
- In a large pot with a lid, heat the oil on med-high heat for a couple of minutes.
- Add in shallot, ginger, lemongrass and stir for about 2 minutes.
- Next add sugar, chilies and kaffir lime leaves and stir for another minute.
- Then add into the pot the coconut milk, broth, fish sauce, mushrooms, eggplant and cover with lid bringing it to a boil.
- Reduce heat to lower and simmer for 5 minutes before adding in the green beans and tofu.
- Turn heat up to medium and bring it to another boil and turn down heat and cook until the green beans have turned a brighter green (around 2-5 minutes).
- Serve with steamed rice or vermicelli rice noodles topped with chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime.