Best made with:
Tofu Tourtiere Hand Pies
- Comfort Food
- Extra Firm Tofu
Puff pastry packed with loads of flavour.
|1 pkg||Sunrise Extra Firm Tofu , crumbled|
|4||medium onions , diced|
|1 tbsp||olive oil|
|1||large celery stalk , diced|
|2||garlic cloves , minced|
|1/8 tsp||ground cloves|
|¼ tsp||ground sage|
|1 tsp||black pepper|
|2 tbsp||dried parsley flakes|
|2 tbsp||balsamic vinegar|
|1 tbsp||Worcestershire sauce|
|3 tsp||water or milk for egg wash if desired|
|4 sheets||puff pastry, or refrigerated dough , rolled and cut into 5” circles|
- Preheat oven to 400F, if baking right away. The filling can be made a day or two in advance and kept in the fridge.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium-high heat. Sauté onions, celery and garlic for 10min., add in cloves, nutmeg and sage, cook additional 5min.
- In a food processor, pulse tofu until it is a coarse crumble, add to skillet; add in salt, pepper, parsley, balsamic vinegar and Worcestershire sauce, mix well on low heat for 3min. Remove from heat; pour into a large mixing bowl to cool about 15-20min.
- At this point you can refrigerate filling for later use, or if baking right away, continue onto next step.
- On lightly floured work surface, roll out dough, cut into 5” circles, reroll remaining dough for more circles. Spoon about 2 tbsp of filling on half of each round. Fold in half and press edges together with fingers or fork to seal.
- Whisk egg with water or milk in a small bowl, brush tops of prepared pies.
- Bake for 15-20min or until golden brown. Cool 10min. on wire rack.
Once completely cool, store leftovers in refrigerator, or freeze for later use. Reheat in oven at 350F for 15min.