Best made with:
- Comfort Food
- Ethnic Cuisine
- Soft Tofu
This delicious stock makes a perfect vegan Pho especially with the addition of Sunrise Soft Tofu.
|1 pkg||Sunrise Soft Tofu , cubed|
|1 tsp.||coriander seeds|
|1||yellow onion , sliced|
|1 fresh||ginger , peeled and sliced|
|1||apple , peeled, cored and quartered|
|1 large||carrot , cut into rounds|
|1||napa cabbage , chopped|
|1 cup||cilantro , chopped|
|9 cups||cold water|
|⅔ cup||hot water|
|3½ Tbsp||nutritional yeast|
|1 tsp||soy sauce|
|½ lbs||Vermicelli noodles|
|2 cups||Shitake mushrooms , thinly sliced|
|6||baby bok choy , halved|
|4||scallions , thinly sliced|
To serve with meal
|2 cups||fresh bean sprouts|
|4-6 whole||bird's eye chili|
|2 fresh||limes , quartered|
|fresh mint and thai basil leaves|
- Toast clove and coriander seeds in the stockpot on medium high heat for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant. Add onion, ginger, apple, celery, carrot and napa and stir to combine. Add water and cover. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- In the meantime, fill a measuring cup with hot water and nutritional yeast. Gently stir, then let this sit until stock is finished cooking. The solids will fall to the bottom, leaving a golden flavor liquid on top.
- Once stock is cooked, pour it through a wire sieve lined with cheesecloth (or paper towel), into a large bowl. Gently squeeze as much liquid as possible out of the cooked vegetables, adding the juices to the stock. Discard vegetables and return stock to the pot. Carefully pour off the golden liquid from the nutritional yeast mixture, leaving the solids behind to be discarded.
- Add shitake mushrooms, bok choy and noodles to stock and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Divide tofu between bowls and add a dash of soy sauce to each serving. Divide noodles, bok choy and mushrooms evenly between bowls, then add desired amount of stock.
- Top each bowl with fresh beansprouts, one Bird’s Eye chili, a slice of lime and a sprig of each fresh Thai basil and mint. Serve with additional soy sauce and Sriracha on the side.